In the last years, immigration has been part of many political campaigns, used for the sake of creating fear and separation in the masses. It has been one of the major point in the last Italian election and has been part of daily news in the US following the latest comment of President Trump. immigration is one of the most important socio economic challenges of our days. As many other important issues, the ignorance demonstrated by the masses is mainly fueled by empty propaganda promoted by the media. Refelecting a very limited and twisted perspective of a complicated reality that require immediate attention and actions.
The massage of the media and the politicians is clear, immigration is bad and need to be stopped immediately. The word “immigration” has been connected to terms as violence, economic instability, loss of job for the local population, sexual abuse, poverty and deculturalisation. While all these issues are indeed part of the western countries problems, explaining to the people that immigration is the cause for it, is just wrong and dangerous as it is untrue.
It is indeed true that there are some immigrants that are taking part in violent acts and sexual abuse, but it is a minority of individuals out of a crowd of good people. In the reality, in each group of population there is always a minority that is problematic. Letting these few reflect the all group is wrong in any cases, immigrants or not.
The general propaganda that spread fear of the new and the different is not new. It has been used by the west for hundreds of years. It has been one of the major justifications for the majority of our recent wars, has been the leading philosophy of nationalism and has been part of the core reason for the Christian crusades. It is easy to hate what one does not understand and it is even easier to ignore what one does not like to see. Which does make the problem less relevant or the hatred more justified.
For the sake of addressing the subject of immigration fairly and seriously, there is a few points that are important to establish. We all know these points, but like to forget or ignore them:
- Immigrants are people just like you. They are humans, with feelings, families, hopes and dreams.
- The definition of immigration just refer to a specific person which used to live somewhere else.
- The classification of a person as immigrant is based on political agreement, borders and the laws of the period. (in Europe, an Italian moving to Germany used to be called an immigrant before the creation of the European union. A Canadian moving to the US is not considered an immigrant. A person moving from New York to LA will not be consider an immigrant while a Mexican will).
- These people who decide to migrate are in the majority of the cases, motivated people that wants to work and create themselves and their families a better life.
- The reason for immigration in many cases, is based on a reality of war and starvation in the country of origin.
In my next post, I will talk specifically about immigration from Africa and the need of western countries to bring immigrant for the sake of their survival. For now it is important to remember, Immigration is a topic attached to fear and hate, only due to ignorance and twisted propaganda. Open your mind to the reality around you before choosing to hate and fear what you don’t understand. It will make your life better and the world a better place.
Share with me your opinion in the subject. Awareness and open conversation are the key for the creation of a better future.